Build a measurement plan and use data to drive business growth
Hey Lucy here, I have just thrown together a video talk talk about a really common mistake I see with businesses who are starting out with online marketing.
Watch this video to make sure you avoid this crucial online marketing mistake.
Hi, Lucy Ross here with another online marketing update. Today I am going to talk you through the biggest mistake most businesses make when they are starting out with online marketing.
And it is actually crucial if you want to measure if you actually get a return on investment when you spending money on things like Google Adwords, S.E.O or perhaps paying for banner advertising, facebook advertising, and social media marketing.
So what we are actually talking about today is the fact that you need to build a measurement plan.
If you are spending money on online marketing you need to know how you are going to measure the results.
- What would a favorable end result look like – What do we want them to do on our website?
- How would I measure that?
HOMEWORK: What you need to do is sit down and think about what a positive result would look like and then the different ways you could measure that.
- Do you want someone to make a purchase on an e-commerce website?
- Are you wanting them to ring up and make a booking (restaurants, physios, doctors, Dentists)
- What are the key performance indicators that tell you that the money that you are spending on marketing is actually resulting in sales
All this is going to tell if the money you have been investing in marketing campaigns has worked or not.
What kinds of things can you measure online?
Well, the cool thing about online marketing in relation to old school marketing is that you can track almost anything.
- How many sales
- How many contact forms were filled in
- If someone downloaded a menu, coupon or p.d.f.
- If they spend X minutes on a page (this tells you if they are actually sticking around to read your content).
- And if they signed up to your newsletter.
You will need to think about what is important to your business
What kind of things would you like to track in google analytics? This could be things like
- What people looked at on your website,
- How long they stayed on that page
- If they abandoned the shopping cart or perhaps abandoned one of your sales processes half way. e.g. Maybe they read they reach the sales page but they did not get to the thank you page that comes up after they put their email details in or their credit card details and made a purchase.
How do you create a measurement plan?
Basically, you need to sit down with a pen and paper and map out the points we just covered and map out what a positive result would look like and incorporate that into your analytics tracking.
- You can also build dash boards into google analytics
- Analytics goal tracking or e-commerce tracking
- Adwords conversion tracking
Need some help?
If you need any help with this we offer an analytics training product and we can also tie that into google AdWords Training. This is Lucy Ross from EcommerceMarketing.co.nz with another online marketing update – catch you next time.